– 200 g red tomato puree
– 400 ml chickpeas , soaked the night before, cooked and drained (or precooked chickpeas in tin)
– 120 ml hot water
– 3 tbsp. SoulSpice Biryani Spice mix
– 1 medium onion, diced finely
– 2,5 cm piece of ginger, grated
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2 hot green chilies, chopped
– 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- In a heavy pot, heat the oil, then add the diced onions. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes on a medium heat, until the onions soften and just start to colour.
- Add the grated ginger, garlic and chopped chillies. Stir.
- Add the Chana Masala spice mix to the mixture, then cook on a gentle heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and hot water. Add the rinsed chickpeas.
- Add the tomato puree and hot water. Add the rinsed chickpeas. Stir together, then cook on a low heat for about 15- 20 minutes, until the spices are fully blended into the sauce.
- Take off the heat, and add a bit more chana masala spiced mix (if needed) and sprinkle over the chopped coriander to serve. Chana Masala goes well with rice or naan bread.
In partnership with: