– 450 g lamb shoulder, cut into 4 cm pieces
– 60 ml plain yoghurt
– 1 large onion, thinly sliced
– 3 tbsp. SoulSpice Biryani spice mix
– 120 ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 tomatoes, cored and minced
– 2-3 chilis, stemmed and minced
– 1,5 cm piece of ginger, minced
– a few springs of mint leaves, chopped
– a few springs of chopped coriander
– 250 g basmati rice, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, drained
- Heat 2 tbsp oil, cook onions until dark brown. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil over high heat and add the biryani spice mix, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring for 2–3 minutes.
- Add lamb & cook until lightly browned, for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes.
- Cover with water, reduce heat to medium heat; cook until lamb is tender, for about 1 hour.
- Add fried onions, yogurt, 2/3 of the mint and coriander; cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes more. Set aside.
- Cook rice with twice the amount of water, season with salt. Cook rice until al dente (for about 8-9 min), drain rice and set aside.
- Transfer half the lamb curry to a pot. Top lamb with half the rice. Top with remaining lamb curry and remaining rice and mix. Steam, covered, on low heat until rice is tender, for about 10 minutes. Garnish with remaining mint and coriander.